Ph.D. (IIT Kharagpur), Associate Professor – Marketing, Retail and Entrepreneurship
Dr. Rituparna Basu is an internationally acclaimed young academician and researcher in the domain of marketing and retail. She received the prestigious AIMS-IRMA Outstanding Young Woman Management Teacher Award 2016 for her contribution to management teaching in the country. She is particularly known for her practice-led research across a wide range of topics such as retail, sports marketing, and children as consumers that is already making an impact across the global academic fraternity.
Dr. Basu completed her Ph.D. in Management from IIT Kharagpur to join full time academics as an Assistant Professor of Marketing, Retail and Entrepreneurship at IMI Kolkata in January 2013. Her doctoral thesis titled Store Format Choice in Emerging Retail Markets speaks of her expertise in contemporary marketing theories and practices. Dr. Basu is an alumnus of the highly acclaimed St. Xaviers’ College, Kolkata and holds a B.Sc. degree with Economics honors. She also has a gold medal to her credit for her Master’s in Business Administration.
Dr. Basu has over 13 years of industry-academia experience. She has worked with some of the best known media companies like AMSI (an Indo-Malaysian joint venture with Power FM and Aamar FM radio stations in Kolkata), Sanmarg (a leading vernacular newspaper) and a startup niche magazine on education abroad called “Ready to Go?”, in national sales and marketing profiles for around 5 years prior to joining IIT. During her IIT days she attended a student exchange programme on International Marketing at the University of Nebraska, Omaha and had the opportunity to meet the legendary Warren Buffet and some of the best known American CEOs. She was part of the IIMA Summer School 2012 on Data Analytics.
In her teaching career, she has already held the Adjunct Faculty position at Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur teaching Sales and Distribution to the students of its MBA as well as Executive MBA programmes. She has been regularly visiting many reputed management institutes and Universities like the IISWBM and St. Xavier’s University to teach papers in Retail, CRM, Marketing Strategy, etc.
She is a high impact corporate trainer. She has delivered several training sessions in sales and communication at companies like Bengal Ambuja, Usha Telehoist and Quotient Engineering Inc. She also facilitates MDPs for Allahabad bank, CESC, PCBL and others at IMI-Kolkata.
She has delivered session on “Overcoming Challenges for Sustainable Competitive Advantage” as a Keynote Speaker for National Symposium by St. Xavier's College Department of Commerce & Business Administration. She has graced many national/ international academic forums as guest of honour or distinguished panelist and has also been invited as faculty expert to Live programmes on national television. Recently, she delivered an expert session on ‘Social Entrepreneurship’ at the National Seminar organized by GDBI, Kolkata along with luminaries like Chandra Shekhar Ghosh, Nikhil Pant and others. Her oratory skills coupled with her expertise as a highly cited researcher makes her a popular choice as a speaker in intellectual platforms.
Dr. Basu is the Associate Editor of IMI Konnect (A scholarly management publication- ISSN 2321 9378) since January 2014. As a successful academic administrator she has been the Chairperson of Admissions at IMI-K and currently she heads its Branding & Media Relations. She is also a representative member of the Board of Governors at IMI Kolkata.
As a researcher, she has authored several research papers in international journals of repute that are available across scholarly indexes. She has authored award winning teaching cases that are available on Harvard Business School Publishing indexes. She is very keen on practicing and publishing collaborative applied research with pragmatic integration of quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches.
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Basu R., and Sondhi, N. (2016/17 forthcoming), Profiling Sports Spectators in Emerging Markets: Role of Sports Involvement as a Segmentation Tool, International Journal of Sports Management and Marketing (Inderscience)
- Basu R., Kumar, S. and Goyal, N. (2016/17 forthcoming), Profiling Emerging market Investors: A Segmentation Approach, International Journal of Bank Marketing (Emerald)
- Basu R. and Datta B., Roy G. (2017), Effect of eWOM Valence on Online Retail Sales, Global Business Review (Sage), 18(1), 1-12.(DOIhttp://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0972150916666966)
- Roy, G., Datta, B., & Basu, R. (2017). Trends and Future Directions in Online Marketing Research. Journal of Internet Commerce, 16(1), 1-31. (DOI http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15332861.2016.1258929)
- Sondhi, N. and Basu R., (2016), A Tri-Component Model of Parental Attitude: Child’s Role in Family Decision Making, International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management (Inderscience), 12(2), 237-254. (DOI http://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/abs/10.1504/IJICBM.2016.074483)
- Basu R, and Sondhi N. (2015), An Empirical Analysis of Purchase Behaviour for Football Ancillaries: An Emerging Market Perspective, Global Business Review (Sage), 16(5), 879-90. (DOI http://gbr.sagepub.com/content/16/5/879.short)
- Basu R. (2015), Are They Really Different? A Study on Apparel Shoppers’ Retail Format Perception in US and India, Global Business Review (Sage), 16(1), 123-36. (DOI http://gbr.sagepub.com/content/16/1/123.short)
- Basu R., and Sondhi, N. (2014), Child Socialization Practices: Implications for Retailers in Emerging Markets, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services (Elsevier), 21 (5), 797-803. (DOI http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S096969891400085X)
- Basu R. (2014),Entrepreneurship Education in India: A Critical Assessment and a Proposed Framework, Technology Innovation Management Review (Carleton University), 4(8), 5-10.(DOI http://timreview.ca/article/817)
- Basu R., Sengupta K., and Guin. K. K. (2014), Do Apparel Store Formats Matter to Indian Shoppers, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management (Emerald), 42(8), 698-716. (DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-03-2013-0065 )
- Sondhi, N. and Basu R. (2014), Role of Children in Family Purchase across Indian Parental clusters. Young Consumers (Emerald), 15 (4), 365-79.(DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/YC-10-2013-00402)
SELECT PUBLICATIONS IN NATIONAL JOURNALS
- Basu R. (2013), A Review of Contemporary Retail Formats in Emerging India, Indian Journal of Marketing, 43 (11), 30-35. (DOI http://indianjournalofmarketing.com/index.php/ijom/article/view/80506)
- Basu R., Sengupta K., and Guin K. K. (2012), Format Perception of Indian Apparel Shoppers: Case of Single and Multi Brand Stores, IUP Journal of Marketing Management; 11(3) (August 2012), 25-37.(DOI http://search.proquest.com/openview/a45ec87fa9f5dfce952019e11b7fbb30/1?pq-origsite=gscholar)
PUBLISHED TEACHING CASES
- Sondhi, N. and Basu R. (forthcoming), Clubb International Pvt Ltd: Marching Ahead to New Travels (Teaching Note included), ISB-Ivey Case, Ivey Publishing (Overall winner in ISB-Ivey Global Case Competition 2017)
- Basu R. and Sondhi N., (2016 Dec), Media Industry: The Road Ahead For Sanmarg Hindi Language Daily (Teaching Note included), Thunderbird Case Series, Thunderbird , a unit of the Arizona State University Knowledge Enterprise (available on HBSP collection) (DOI https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/product/TB0463-PDF-ENG)
- Basu R. Nag T. and Dasgupta B. (2017). Dainik Jagran: Sustaining Leadership in the Newspaper Industry (Teaching Note included), Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies (Emerald), 7(1), 1-36. (DOI http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/EEMCS-05-2016-0083?af=R)
- Basu R. (2015),Promoting Oral Health in Rural India: The Case of Pepsodent—Case Discussion, Global Business Review (Sage), 16(3), 540-542 (DOI http://gbr.sagepub.com/content/16/3/540.short)
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS (Conference Proceedings)
- Basu R., Banik A., and Khatun R. (2017). Measuring the Barriers to Trade in Banking and Financial Services in BRICS Economies (full paper), APEA 2017: 13th Annual Conference of Asia Pacific Economic Association, July 14-15, 2017.
- Basu R., Datta B., and Roy G. (2016 forthcoming), Role Of Mixed Neutral Electronic Word Of Mouth On Online Purchase Intention (full paper) accepted for presentation at IIMC MARCON 2016: 4th International Marketing Conference, December 22-24, 2016.
- Basu R. (2015), Retailing in China and India: A Critical Review, Sino-India Forum 2015, Nov. 26-27, 2015, Sichuan Academy of Social Sciences (SASS), Chengdu, China. (on special invitation)
- Basu R, and Sondhi N. (2014), An Empirical Analysis of Purchase Behaviour for Football Ancillaries: An Emerging Market Perspective Emerging Markets Evolving Perspectives, Dec. 16-17, 2014, IMI- Kolkata
- Basu R, and Dixit S. (2013), A Conceptual review of CHAID response modeling in marketing research, 7th ISDSI & 5th OSCM International Conference, Dec. 28-30, 2013, IMI, New Delhi
- Basu R, and Sengupta K. (2011), Customer Perception of Single Brand and Multi Brand Retail Formats: An Empirical Evidence in India, AIMS8 and IIMA conference selected papers, paper ref no. P8388 (Full paper)
- Basu R. and Dey S., (2009), Green Marketing as a Strategic Flexibility Option: a Comparative Sectoral Insight, GLOGIFT conference proceedings (Full paper)
- Basu R, (2007), Inquiring a Cross Effect of Marketing a Media Product on its Advertising Market, National conference on business optimization research wave, NITIE conference proceedings (Full paper)
Awards & Recognition
- Overall Winner- 1st Place in ‘ISB-Ivey Global Case Competition 2017’
- Recipient of the ‘AIMS-IRMA Young Woman Management Teacher’ Award 2016
- Recipient of Venus International Foundation’s ‘Outstanding Woman in Management’ Award 2017
- Gold Medal for Highest Academic Achievement in Masters of Business Administration from IMM (Viswa Bharati University), 2001
- West Bengal State Education Board's Merit Award for Outstanding Performance