Ph.D. (University of Calcutta), Dean (Placement and Corporate Relations) and Associate Professor - Marketing and Retail
Dr. Mohua Banerjee completed her M.Com in Accountancy and Ph.D. in Commerce – Marketing from University of Calcutta. She has over twelve years of teaching experience and teaches courses on Marketing Management, Retail Marketing, Sales & Distribution and Marketing Communication in India. As a Visiting Professor in foreign Universities like University of Bordeaux, University of Tours and Celsa-Sorbonne University in France, she has taught courses on the Indian Perspectives of Digital Marketing, Consumer Behaviour, International Retailing and Supply Chain Management. in their Masters Programmes. She has been invited as a Guest Speaker in The Retail Institute of Leeds Business School, UK, and at the University of Dauphine, France. She is also a Visiting Professor in Retail Marketing in the M.Com Department of St. Xavier's College.
Dr. Mohua has consulted in the telecom sector and has conducted practice-oriented retail research with Oxford Institute of Retail Management, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford. She had been actively involved in Retail Management curriculum development for National Skill Development Mission, NITTTR, Ministry of HRD. Her publications include research articles and cases in international journals and publishing houses.
Journal / Case study
- “Retail Supply Chain Management Practices in India: A Business Intelligence Perspective” (with M. Mishra), Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 34,pp.248–259, 2017.
Abstract: The study surveyed executives of a major food retailer in India and explored their perspectives on Supply Chain Management practices, competitive advantage and firm performance; to assess the importance accorded to application of Business Intelligence (BI) in their operations. Nine dimensions for SCM practices and four dimensions for competitive advantage are identified which are found to strongly relate to each other. The dimensions of SCM also strongly relate to firm performance. Though information sharing with suppliers and their inclusion in strategic decision-making emerge as key dimensions of SCM, their impact on competitive advantage is perceived to be insignificant by retailers.
- “The ideal leader: reflections on imbibing good leadership qualities”, published in IMI Konnect, October 2015, Vol.4, Issue 9, ISSN: 2321-9378.
- “Spencer’s Retail Limited: Repositioning in a changing retail environment”, (with Prof. Tridib Mazumdar, Syracuse University), Ivey Business Publishing, 26th March, 2014. (www.iveycases.com, Ivey Business School at Western University, Canada).
Abstract: A case study titled “Spencer’s Retail Limited: Repositioning in a Changing Retail Environment” by Dr. Mohua Banerjee has been published by Ivey Publishing, which is a part of Ivey Business School at Western University, Canada. The case puts forth the evaluation of a whole new retail marketing strategy based on Spencer’s Retail Limited. To target the expanding segment of upwardly mobile and upper-income Indians, the pre-eminent organized retailer in India decided to introduce western-style hyper stores with high-end merchandising. The initial reactions of shoppers were positive, but soon the novelty wore off and store traffic declined. To counter the negative consumer responses, the retailer undertook a year-long test of a new repositioning strategy in its signature hyper store in a large urban centre. The case provides the test results, which include consumer reactions as well as impacts on store traffic and profit margins. The case is available on the Ivey Publishing website where faculty, publishers and corporations worldwide can purchase copies for use in their classrooms, textbooks and seminars.
- “Big Data, Business Intelligence and Real-time Analytics in Retail”, published in IMI Konnect, March 2014, Vol.3, Issue 2, ISSN: 2321-9378.
- India Retail Report 2013, “Future Challenges for Retailing: For Policy Makers, Retailers, Branded Goods Manufacturers and the Wider Supply Chain Partners”, co-authored with Dr. Malobi Mukherjee, OXIRM, University of Oxford.
- "Changing pattern of consumer behavior in Kolkata with advent of large format retail outlets" published in IUP Journal of Marketing Management October- December 2010 issue; co-authored with Dr. Rajib Dasgupta (University of Calcutta).
- “Inclusive Value Chain and Organized Retail – A Reflection” published in IMI-Konverse, IMI Kolkata, 2010.
- “Impact of Malls and Organized Retail on Traditional ‘Kirana’ Stores in Kolkata” – presented in International Conference, “Decisions in Management and Social Sciences for Sustainable Development”, IISWBM; November 2009; co-authored with Dr. Rajib Dasgupta (University of Calcutta).
Books / Book Chapters
- Contributed a chapter on “International E-marketing” to the French book “E-marketing and e-commerce, 2nd edition - Concepts, tools, practices; October 2014, by Thomas Stenger and Stéphane Bourliataux-Lajoinie.
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Global Marketing Management”, 8th edition, Warren J. Keegan.
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Retail Management – A Strategic Approach” 12th edition by Barry Berman and Joel R. Evans. )
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Modern Management: concepts and skills” 13th edition, by Samuel C. Certo and S. Trevis Certo.
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Consumer Behavior” 10th edition, Michael R. Solomon, Horizon edition.
Newspaper, Trade Journal Articles:
- “Festivals will be much brighter, happier if 'Taant' sari industry is unfolded and made to flow again”, The Economic Times, October 3, 2014.
- “FDI Dreams, Fears and Reality”, IMAGES Retail, January 2012, Vol. 11 No. 1.
- Building Competitive Advantage – Retail Management and Strategic Planning and Management – Retailing for Sales and Marketing Heads and Retail Heads of 22 circles, Vodafone India Ltd, September 2011. Had used the Survey Instrument developed by World Management Survey (http://worldmanagementsurvey.org/wp-content/images/2010/09/Retail-Survey-Instrument.pdf), tweaked it to the Indian context to initially map the stores and develop insights for the training programme.
- Retail Management Workshop, for Store Managers of Vodafone Essar Limited, Kolkata in December 2010.
Conferences & Seminars:
- Delivered a talk in The Retail Institute, Leeds Business School, Leeds Beckett University, UK, Annual Retail Briefing 2016, on India’s Changing Retail Landscape, held on October 12 and 13, 2016.
- Presented a paper titled “India’s Retail Policy: Securing a Balance between the Physical Store and E-commerce” in Oxford Retail Futures Conference - Public Policy in Retail and Supply Chain Management, in Säid Business School, University of Oxford, 8th and 9th December, 2015.
- Paper presented by co-author Dr. Lajonie titled “E- commerce in B.R.I.C. – A comparative study of consumer behavior across Brazil, Russia, India and China”, in ICTO (Information and Communication Technologies in Organizations and Society) 3rd and 4th March, 2016 Paris (Paper No. 55, http://icto2016.webs.com/).
- Presented a paper “Retail Supply Chain Management Practices: Key priorities for Competitive Advantage and Firm Performance”, at the 6th IIM Ahmedabad Conference on Marketing in Emerging Economies, 7th January, 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Retail supply chain management practices: Antecedents and consequences" in ISDSI & OSCM International Conference – IMI Delhi, 28th to 30th Dec 2013.
- Presented a paper titled “Antecedents and Consequences of Supply Chain Management Practices: A Study of Indian Organized Retailing” in Oxford Retail Futures Conference - Big Data, Business Intelligence and real-time analytics in retail, in Säid Business School, University of Oxford, 9th and 10th December, 2013.
- Successfully completed “Case Writers’ Advanced Training Workshop” conducted by Ivey Business School, Western University – Canada, from May 9-12, 2013, New Delhi, under Prof. Ariff Kachra, Prof. of Strategy, Ivey Business School.
- In-absentia paper presented on “Journey to Modern Retail: A Comparison of Indian and European Retailing” as a co-author with Richard Cuthbertson, Malobi Kar (University of Oxford), at International Conference on Recent Advances In Retailing And Services Science (EIRASS), Vienna 2012.
- Presented paper on “A Scenarios Approach to Capture the Dynamism of Indian Retailing”, at Asia Pacific Retail Conference, Malaysia 2011; co-authored with Malobi Kar, Richard Cuthbertson (University of Oxford).
- Moderated session “Market Transformation and the Coping Strategies of Retailers” at Asia Pacific Retail Conference, Malaysia 2011.